The Gorge is home to over 70km of hand-built mountain bike trails
A visit to The Gorge is not a mass market, stand in line, you're just a number mountain biking experience. We welcome a maximum of 32 guests to the park every Friday, Saturday and Sunday (private shuttles can be booked on other days).
Due to its scale (1000m+ vertical climb) the only way to enjoy the park is to be shuttled up the hill, and we have purpose built vehicles and trailers that are made for the job. There is no pressure - you choose how much or how little riding you want to do.
The Gorge is a magical place set in dense native forest, and with views right across to the sea. If you want to sit by a waterfall and have a breather you can. If you want to smash out laps as hard as you can then go for it. It's up to you. A typical day is two or three runs before lunch and two or three after lunch (that adds up to between 4000/5000 vertical metres of descending).
We provide you with a detailed map, a shuttle timetable and all of our trails are very well sign-posted. You decide where to go, how fast or slow you want to ride, when you want to stop and which shuttle pick-up point will work best for you. We also provide you with a radio so you can remain in contact with our team throughout the day if you have an emergency.
HOw to book
1. You must be a current member of the NMTBC to ride at The Gorge (unless you book a private shuttle). Membership periods run from January to December of each year. Join the Club here – it’s quick and easy!
2. The minimum age is 12yrs, accompanied by an 18yr+ guardian (1-1 ratio). The minimum age of solo riders is 18yrs.
2. Once your club membership payment has cleared (instant with credit card/PayPal or 48hrs with bank transfer) click here – make sure you are logged in (check the top right of the screen).
4. Check the calendar for availability and book your shuttle days (it's a flat fee of $99 per day per person – which runs from 8.00am – 3.30pm and includes as many runs down the hill as you feel like). Shuttles run on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. You can book as many days as you want – they sell out so book in advance to avoid dissapointment.
5. Once you have paid for your day (either via Credit Card through Stripe, or via internet banking through Poli Pay) then that’s it – you’ll receive an email confirmation.
Note: You can change the date of your shuttle days at The Gorge up-to seven days before you are due to ride, space allowing. Go to “Manage Bookings”. We can’t do refunds on days booked (the admin around it is just too much, so please be sure you want to come and ride the Gorge before you book a day).
The fine Print
- Minimum age for accompanied riders is 12 years (must be accompanied by a guardian who is 18yrs+). Minimum solo rider age is 18 years.
- All riders must have kneepads, gloves and a helmet - we strongly recommend a full face helmet.
- There are no guides and no bike patrol. Riders must stay in groups and look out for each other, be self-sufficient (as you would on any big ride) and be prepared for awesome riding in a beautiful and remote location.
- All riders must be at the front gate before 8.00 in the morning, ready to drive in convoy through to Barrys flat. There is now an active forestry operation on the access road meaning that it is closed with gates locked during the day. You cannot turn up late or leave early (except for medical emergency).
- We operate rain or shine. If the shuttles are being cancelled the next day due to extreme weather you will be informed by 8.00pm the evening prior by email, and you will be able to transfer your booking to another day.
- NMTBC reserves the right to cancel a scheduled shuttle day for any reason that it deems fit, including if there are low numbers booked for a day. Riders already booked on these days will be given the opportunity to transfer their booking to another day, or get a refund.
- All changes to booking need to be done with at least 7 days notice. We do not change bookings last minute or provide refunds for last minute cancellations by riders. Unfortunately we have to work with strict access requirements and on-site communications are difficult due to the remote location/limited phone and internet access so we are forced to operate a fairly inflexible booking system. Your understanding is appreciated.
-If you cancel a booking a refund will not be automatically issued. You are best to change the date of your booking or contact our administrator.
If you would like to ride at The Gorge on a day when regular shuttles are not scheduled (check the Calendar), you can book your own shuttle vehicle so you can explore the park exclusively with your own crew. Please email us and let us know the day you want to book and we’ll sort it out.
Private shuttle days are not booked through the website. You will be sent an online form for each of the riders in your group to complete. You do not have to be a member of Nelson Mountain Bike Club to book a private shuttle. You will be issued with a one day NMTBC membership for the day of the ride.
1. Groups up to 10 riders = $1200 per day
2. Groups 11 – 22 riders = $2100 per day
All payments must be made in advance. Bookings may be re-scheduled provided request is received no less than 7 days prior to booked day. There are no refunds.
There is a very comfortable gas heated lodge that sleeps up-to 14 which can be booked for overnight stays at the Wairoa Gorge Bike Park.
The lodge has hot showers, kitchen and lounge facilities, toilets, electrictity, heating – but you will need to bring your own food and linen/sleeping bag. The kitchen is fully equipped with cooking and serving utensils as well as all the mod-cons including fridges, dishwasher, microwave and even an espresso machine! Perfect for relaxing after a big day riding or having a weekend away. The river is close if you want to have a swim and the views are superb.
There is one room with a double bed and ensuite and the other four rooms each sleep three people in a bunk bed and one single bed. There is no phone or cellphone reception. The lodge must be left clean and tidy on departure or else your group will forfeit their bond.
The cost of the lodge per night is $450 for up to eight people ($56 per person), and $50 per additional person up-to the maximum of 14. There is also a $175 cleaning fee that is applied to all stays, this ensures that the lodge is professionally cleaned and ready for our guests without the need for you to spend your time doing chores.
Please note that as the lodge is on site it is within the property gates, which are locked between 5.00pm and 7.00am. After hours access is only possible in case of emergency. Check-in is strictly 4.00pm or earlier by arrangement. If you arrive after this time, the cost is $150 to have a staff member meet you at your designated arrival time.
On the day of departure, the Lodge must be cleaned and vacated by 8.00am, unless there are no bookings the following night, then riders may use the Lodge during the day and vacate by 4.00pm.
Please email us to book.
RIDE / STAY PACKAGES
Nelson is home to several very professional mountain bike guiding/bike hire/shuttle companies who can help you get to and from The Gorge, hire you suitable bikes, make your stay at our lodge easy with food and linen, and a heap of other great services to make sure your visit to The Gorge is one you'll never forget. Contact them directly to talk through your requirements and how they can help.
lunch, dinner, breakfast, lunch
two days of shuttles
a free bike check-up the day before
a bike mechanic and host.
Pricing starts at $650 per person for groups of five or more people.
Make the most of their passion!